Insurance Requirements

Scene in San FranciscoWe must receive all proof of insurance via email directly from your Agent, Broker or Insurance Provider. The Company/Contractor name provided for the film permit application must be the same as the named insured on your policy. Make sure they send all proof of insurance and endorsements to: Questions? Call us: (415) 554-6241

The amount of insurance required will depend on the activity. At a minimum, we need a certificate of insurance and endorsements showing:

  1. General Liability
    • $1,000,000 Each Occurrence/$2,000,000 Aggregate
    • Additional Insured Endorsement Page
  2. Auto Liability
    • $1,000,000 Combined Single Limit
    • Additional Insured Endorsement Page
  3. Worker's Compensation
    • Statutory Limits
    • Employer's Liability not less than $1,000,000 each accident, injury or illness
    • Waiver of Subrogation Endorsement Page

The Certificate Holder for all issued certificates must state:

The City and County of San Francisco
San Francisco Film Commission,
City Hall Room 473, San Francisco, CA 94102

The certificate must be signed by an authorized representative

Please note, if your Worker's Compensation is issued separately, the Worker's Compensation Certificate Holder section must also state the above language. We need an Alternate Employment Endorsement if the name insured on the COI is the payroll company.

For both the General Liablity and Auto Liability, we require endorsements naming "The City & County of San Francisco, the Port of San Francisco and each of their officers, directors, agents and employees" as additional insured. 

If the policy carries a blanket endorsement, send the relevants pages of the policy indicating where the City is covered, along with the declaration or forms page or reference the forms # on the COI.


  • NO waiver for General Liability will be granted. Evidence that the City will be insured for general liability must be submitted.
  • Auto Liability waivers may be granted only if NO automobiles will be used.
  • Worker's Compensation waivers may be granted if you do not have any employees, employees are not doing any work on city property and/or you are not legally required to carry Worker's Compensation coverage.
  • A waiver request must be approved internally by our Risk Management department. Make sure to allow at least 3 business days for this process.

QUESTIONS? Please review our full insurance requirements, complete with EXAMPLE PAGES!